Skip to menu

logo

News

Teaching the Word! Changing the World!

Who's Who

2015.01.29 Views 482

Interview with Emmanuel Akatukunda

What made you come at Torch Trinity?

Hi, my name is Emmanuel Akatukunda; I am from Uganda. When I graduated from Bible College in Uganda and started ministry, I was overwhelmed by the need of my fellow ministers who had not had the privilege to have theological training. Together with my colleagues with whom I had been at the Bible college, we founded a ministry to train these pastors and Christian leaders. The more I got involved in the leadership training ministry, the more inadequate that I felt. As I prayed about a possibility of further theological training, I felt the Lord leading me to South Korea. I felt that I needed more than to simply study theology, but also do it in a context where the church is vibrant. I wasn't sure how this would be possible in Korea. So, when my friend (a Korean missionary in Uganda) introduced me to South Korea, I knew this was the place that God intended me to be.

?

Tell us about your time at TTGST.

My time at Torch Trinity has been a growth-journey. I have witnessed God working in my life first hand. I have been amazed and inspired by the close relationship between the faculty and the students. At a personal level, I am very grateful to the Torch Trinity community because I was financially supported by another organization when I first joined the seminary, unlike other international students who were under the Torch Strategic Mission Scholarship. But after one year, the organization informed me that they could no longer support my studies at TTGST. This was very devastating to me; the future of my studies here was in balance. In fact I thought that it was time for me to go back to my country. I was wondering why God would bring me here only to disappoint me just after one year. When I informed the school about my predicament, they were very gracious tome ? professors and staff alike. Their response shocked me! I was overwhelmed by how God showed his grace to me. To me, this was a confirmation that God wants me to be here. I am very thankful that the school graciously offered me a scholarship.

?

What is your current ministry involvement and
what are your future plans?

During the weekend, I serve as a Pastor of the English Ministry of Seunglee Presbyterian Church in Ilsan. It is a ministry for the foreign workers who live in the Ilsan area. It is an honor for me to be part of that ministry. After I graduate from Torch Trinity, I plan to return to my country and continue in the ministry pastoral training. I hope to work with a Bible college and also do pastoral ministry in a local church. I have a burden to integrate children's ministry in all that I do because children comprise 50% of our country's population. I also strongly believe that in Uganda we have a great opportunity to lay a solid foundation for the next- generation church by investing our resources in discipline children.

?

How is TTGST preparing you for your calling?

Besides the excellent academic programs and professors that TTGST has, I find this school a great place to prepare for ones calling and ministry, especially given the cultural and denominational diversity among our fellow students and faculty. I have been able to learn about what God is doing in other places around the world through my friends. I am also learning to appreciate how God is working in the other evangelical traditions that are different from my own. The vision groups that we are involved in also offer me opportunity to share about my future ministry and pray with other friends who have a similar passion. Last, but not least, I have benefited much through the mentoring sessions I have had with some members of faculty. The time and lives they spent with me have greatly helped me in my faith-journey here at TTGST. I am very thankful to God for being part of this wonderful community.

"