Skip to menu

logo

News

Teaching the Word! Changing the World!

Who's Who

2015.01.29 Views 261

“You mean if I study here I would have to stay in Korea for at least another 3 years before I could even start my PhD? That’s seriously how long it takes?” I believe those were my first words to Professor Steve Chang when I first inquired about studying at Torch Trinity in February 2007.? It was another dead end, or so it seemed. My mind was already spinning, and this was without even considering how much more time would be needed if I were to study part-time, or even where I would get the money for all of this. So many questions developed, and it was a sacrifice that I wasn’t yet ready to make, so the idea stayed hidden for the time being. Forgotten, but only until God’s own perfect timing was reached.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

It was almost exactly one year later that I was sitting in front of an interview panel having my application considered for Torch Trinity. My application had been prepared in less than a week, in rapid response to a series of events that were too clear to deny and too complicated to explain here. The application went in during a small window of opportunity that I had then, and you’ll have to track me down on campus if you want to hear that story!

?

Very few things in my life have come with such a sense of certainty of purpose and timing.? I had come to Korea in 2005 at a time when almost every door had been closed for me to study for my PhD in Australia, even though I was qualified to do it. At the time, I had a burning desire to work as an Academic, to pursue a PhD in order to add a Christian voice to the field of Cultural and Media Studies, I was particularly interested in Globalization and Identity. It occurred to me that there was a desperate need for such a voice, but it never occurred to me that I would need a much more solid theological foundation before I could even attempt to address any of the issues being raised in those circles. Thankfully, it had already occurred to God.

?

In Torch Trinity, I’ve found the perfect training ground for me as I engage, interact, and study with Christians from many different cultural and religious backgrounds.? This never would have occurred back in Australia. I love that in the future, when I go up against cultural critics who claim that Christianity is just a form of colonialism and cultural imperialism, I will be able to stand proudly and claim that I have studied Christian theology in a non-Western context with amazing indigenous Christian academics from all around the non-Western world. ???

?

During my time at Torch Trinity, I have seen God’s gentle and loving guidance, provision, and superior wisdom. I could be reminded of it every day and still be able to forget, so it’s in God’s amazing grace that I am also able to minister with Korean and Korean-American teenagers who are facing the pressures of study, the fear of failure, and the desire to know God’s will for their lives - even as I am learning to work these things out for myself more and more every day.

?

As I write this, I’m thankful for the many friendships and the theology that I have learned during my time at Torch Trinity; yes, even the languages. These have been some of the best times of my life along with some of the worst, but I am learning to be thankful for both. The difficult times are equally a part of the training process as much as the lessons are. It’s through these times that have come during my study at Torch Trinity that I’m learning to see how deeply these beautiful things that I’m learning in the classroom are really bearing fruit in my heart and being applied to my life. Being overloaded with so much wisdom and insight everyday, I feel blessed with the opportunity for this to be applied to my life.? The Word of God becomes more than just good ideas and intentions through this testing. I see the power of the Word to change the world!

?

"