Skip to menu

logo

News

Teaching the Word! Changing the World!

Who's Who

2015.01.29 Views 471

?

Who’s Who at Torch Trinity

Hello my name’s Elizabeth Belcour.? I’m from Canada, raised in the Belleville, Kingston area in the province of Ontario.? I’ve lived in Korea for about 6 ½ years. Sorry but my Korean’s really terrible but hopefully my Hebrew is better. Maybe you’ve seen me in the hall or on the elevator and wondered are you a student or teacher.? I sometimes get that look.? Well actually both, as I’m also a professor at Chongshin University where I teach English.?

Well, I’m in the M. Div program through the Expat Program in the Intercultural Track.? I’ve been studying at Torch since 2008 taking about 9 or 10 credits a semester.? I came to Torch because I had a strong sense from God that I needed to do further studies as I’ve already got Bachelor of Theology with a Major in Missions.? I did a lot of searching online for programs I could by extension but never feeling satisfied with what was out there.? Until it was suggested I look into Torch as they had an English program which would allow me to keep working.? This seemed idea especially since I could keep working and they offered lots in the missions.?

My time at Torch has been stimulating to say the least.? I enjoy the excitement of coming to class and sitting behind a desk.? REALLY.? I have the unique opportunity to somehow be able to take courses offered in all different years, which at times is confusing because now it seems that I have three sets of classmates.? Although I feel the closest to my third year B Track class.? One of the things about wearing two hats that of student and teacher it gives me a better feel of what my students at Chongshin face.? There’s a certain fear or perhaps more a dread when you’re waiting for the professor to call your name in returning a paper or midterm.? Now I can relate and sympathize more with my students when I’m calling out their names in class.? On the plus side I have access to the library at Chongshin so that makes things easier for me.

My current ministry involvement well I’m taking a break right now to concentrate on my studies.? It was just getting to be too much so I stepped down as pastor in the area of missions at New Harvest Ministry back in March.? At first studies at Torch were a bit of a breeze but now they are certainly taking up more of my time especially with Greek coming up this summer.?

How is Torch preparing me for my calling?? Well I’m sort of living it although it’s been transitioning lately.? I know I’ve been called to overseas ministry which I’ve been doing as I have previous served in China, Nepal and now Korea --but that’s a whole other story.? Korea at first was only supposed to be a year as I was waiting on God concerning future mission opportunity when I served with Interserve.?? But through numerous God given opportunities to minister at a New Harvest Ministry I’ve stayed in Korea.? Next step of my calling well it’s still not clear but feeling lead more in the area of teaching.

"