Skip to menu

logo

News

Teaching the Word! Changing the World!

Who's Who

Interview with Edward William Van Order.

My family is in one phrase ""nominally Christian."" That is to say they claim to be Christian, but do not even go to church on Sunday. I also come from a broken home. My biological parents divorced when I was three and both remarried soon after. The only strong Christian in my family was my grandmother, who I am sure prayed for me all my life. My half- sister seems to be more of a church goer than others in my family as well. I left home for university when I was 17 years old. I turned 18 within a few months though so it is not like I graduated early or anything. My undergrad years were spent learning about molecular biology and later computer science. I wanted to be a great researcher who helped find a cure for cancer. After working in a research laboratory at my university though I found it was not for me. I met Christ in my last year of university. I was at my lowest point and my life seemed to be unraveling before my eyes. I was so depressed that I had to seek help from doctors because I had scared myself with my own thoughts. It was during this time that some of the incoming freshmen at my university ask me to go with them to church. One of them had found a church in the nearby town of Bridgeport, West Virginia. She told me that their Christmas play needed actors/singers. Being arrogant and wanting to keep my voice in shape, I joined the cast. After the first dress rehearsal I felt such a searing pain of guilt. Here I was a non-Christian about to proclaim the Savior's birth as if I truly felt He was my Savior. I broke down and cried out to Jesus and He met me there in my room. I was feeling alone and ashamed, but there came this presence of peace and acceptance. I decided then and there to give my life to Him. Then my life's journey brought me to Korea during the 2002 World Cup. When I first arrived I felt like I had never really left America. It felt like I was just living in a large ""Little Koreatown"" back in America. Sometimes I felt very welcome, but sometimes I felt that Koreans would rather never see a white face. Of course, at this time there was the tragic accident that killed two young Korean girls. I fell in love with the Korean people though. My first week had brought me to Sarang (Love) Community Church, and I felt like I had finally found my home here on earth. Later, while taking Discipleship Training at Sarang, I felt God call me to seminary. I felt I should go to school here in Korea, since the church I considered as my home church was Sarang. I wanted to be able to continue to serve at Sarang Church as I continued my studies and that is when I discovered Torch Trinity. I was so happy to be able to find a school with an English program because my Korea language skill was that of a five year old. I have found Torch to be a great blessing to me. Torch is a place where I can grow in knowledge of God and grow more in love with Jesus everyday. The chapel times refresh me when I'm stressed from all the studying and the classes help me to understand my beliefs more and more. Torch has been a place where I can meet Christians from all over the world and share in being part of the Family of God. Our school is definitely a unique place to learn, grow and fellowship together. After graduation, I plan on staying in Korea. I hope and pray to be able to work at Sarang Church and spend many good years there. I am open to the Holy Spirit’s leading though, and I may end up anywhere in the world. For now though, my plan is to stay with Sarang Church until such a time that God leads me to go elsewhere.william

"